Thursday, December 10, 2009

Food-related musings

* I should not commit to recapping Top Chef when I often find myself unable to actually stay up and watch it at its scheduled time.  Cut me some slack, I get up at 5 AM.  Anyway, I will write up some closing thoughts once I actually watch the finale, and I will try to keep my bitterness regarding spoilers (come on, major newspapers, can you PLEASE not announce the results on your websites’ front pages????) in check.

* Relatedly, I had a happy little dream last night involving BOTH of the Voltaggio brothers.  I think that is because I read this hilarious and brilliant post yesterday, and I also tuned in to this WaPo chat.  Both are definitely worth checking out.

* I don’t think I could justify an entire post on Little Barn, the first truly local joint we’ve tried in our new Gwinnett County surroundings.  However, here are some initial thoughts: first off, it really is a little barn, with inside seating for about 20 (ish) and a drive-through window (definitely the more popular choice, while we were there at least).  The biscuits, which are highly lauded and the reason I wanted to visit, are as big as my head and very, very good.  I ordered a chicken biscuit ($2.29) and a sausage biscuit ($1.79), and I couldn’t finish them.  The meats on my biscuits were just “meh.”  Jason ordered a breakfast platter, which included scrambled eggs, a biscuit, gravy, and country ham, all for $4.59.  The gravy was delicious–great texture, and incredibly flavorful.  The country ham was awesome, too.  Counter service was quick and friendly, and prices are definitely reasonable (I think our breakfast for two, with OJ and TONS of food, was about $13).  I think that once you figure out what you really like on the menu, Little Barn is a great alternative to fast food or chain breakfast places.

* My hubs and I are hosting a little housewarming/holiday get-together on Saturday night.  I am serving heavy appetizers, and I think I’m pretty set on the menu, but I’m always up for suggestions.  Does anyone have just a KILLER h’ors d’oeuvres recipe that they’d like to share?  Leave it in the comments!

[Via http://troublewithtoast.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment