Sunday, October 25, 2009

I've got a beef, and it's with midwestern home cooked mush.

I’ve got a quick issue to address tonight and it lies in this one simple problem: don’t demand that I eat your food and then be disappointed when I tell you it sucks.

First of all, just because you spent 2 hours cutting up stuff, just to put it in a casserole  and bake it for 4 hours – doesn’t mean you deserve my respect for your cooking mastery.  Especially not when all that ends up coming out is a big cooked goop of stuff that all tastes the same.

Food is amazing and as humans we have an diverse set of senses which we use to do more than consume food for survival.  The sight of a colorful, vibrant and crisp salad, the texture of an amazing sushi cut combined with the fire of wasabi, the smell of beef cooking just right over an open flame – there are many methods we use to consume our food. You don’t have to go far to find different flavors, but the midwest tradition truly is born of a crock-pot full of meat and veggies cooked long enough to make it all taste just the same…. soft meat which tastes like carrots and onions, and soft potatoes that taste like meat and carrots…  Or the good old casserole which can get packed with anything and a bit of cream of (insert vegetable here) soup and be kicked into the over for 4 hours…

What gives?  When did the Midwest become afraid of its taste buds?  As I said, you don’t have to go far to find flavor, but when the flavor at home is becoming increasingly bland it is understandable that more people turn to fast food trash to cure their flavor addiction.

I cannot sit here and proclaim myself to be a great cook, or baker, but I do know what I like and that is a diverse range of flavor with a diverse texture.  Food should not taste like one lump of semi-solid mixed with another similarly tasting lump of semi-solids. Just because it took 6 hours to prepare doesn’t make it better than the flash friend thin cut fish salad I could have made in 30 minutes had you warned me we were about to be eating a goddamn casserole tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment