Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Relationships, Trust & the Internet

I decided to write this one because one of my friends is dealing with a guy who apparently she is feeling and they are trying to work on getting thing together. I kind of understood both sides but I was just wondering if it was too soon.

The situation:

My friend reunites with this guy she knew from way back when. To kind of sum things up they end up wanting to be together which is all fine and dandy. But I see a lot of red flags on both sides, but if she’s happy then I’m cool.

Apparently, the guy got his heart broken so he has trust issues. She says when anyone calls her, he wonders who it is. If it’s one of us, he says she talks to us too much. Mind you we barely hear from her when he’s around. Only, one of us has met him. Not me (Red Flag), because I think she knows I’d be on my P’s and Q’s to make sure she was being treated right.

But at any rate, they were talking about them furthering their relationship and getting on the path of being together and the internet came up. He called her an “Internet Whore”. He said if he’s going to “wife a chic, he doesn’t want her on the internet”. He also went on to say how she had a lot of males on her facebook and she didn’t need her co-worker as friends either.

As she’s telling me this, I’m like what the hell? I mean I understand how sometimes the internet and some site can get you in trouble. But I think it depends on the person and the level of trust. I have been in a committed relationship and still had a facebook and myspace page. Plus, he had a facebook page and wasn’t offering to delete his.

For what I was hearing he was asking her to do all of this and only after that would he decide to continuing trying to further their relationship and deciding whether she was in fact “Wifey Material”. That just didn’t sit well with me. She asked my advice and I told her “If you’re going to delete all your pages do it because you want to… not because he wants you to and how do you know it won’t be something else down the line?” I didn’t want to sound like I was hating, I have just seen her sacrifice so much for a man and the man is unwilling to do the same for her.

My question: What would you do if someone you we talking to and trying to building something with asked you to erase your internet ties and they will then decided whether you are the one for them? Have you ever asked someone to cut their internet ties? If yes, then please explain why?

**It’s not that I have a problem with it…but every situation is different. **

No comments:

Post a Comment